Tuesday 13 January 2015

Forward Cabin Clean-Up and Paint

Time to get the cabin cleaned up and first coat of epoxy on. I stripped off the original floor tar coating and paint more than a year ago. It had been protected from surface-rusting with a layer of cheap rattle-can solvent primer. So for this job, I needed to clean off that primer with thinners and then de-greaser. Again, vapour mask firmly on, I got to work and used up a couple of bin bags full of cheap kitchen roll.


The Thinners got all of the cheap primer off and then I wiped with degreaser prior to spraying the 2 part  Epoxy Primer. Gotta love that bright shiny steel…shame to cover it up really.



Then came the Epoxy. First pass was with the car right way up…then I let it dry. I sanded any drips, de-greased again, turned the car over and sprayed on a second coat of Epoxy. It was a good idea to do it both ways up as it's easy to miss undercut areas when you spray from one angle alone.


Job done… I plugged screw holes with rolled up electrical tape to stop the thick primer getting into them. If they get clogged with paint it can be difficult to screw back whatever it is that needs to go back!

Time to

No comments:

Post a Comment