Tuesday 13 January 2015

Early Christmas Present...

Christmas came a little early this year with the arrival of the ultimate..or at least, my ultimate 'boy's toy'!


I've been keeping an eye on the 914World website classified section for a 914 with a more powerful 6 cyl 911 engine. After much deliberation and soul-searching I realised if I am to stand any chance of creating my dream car I needed to buy all the bits in one go. Buying components individually, mostly from the US, is so expensive. The solution of buying it all in one go, in one complete car, makes LOADS of sense.



My goal has always been to make a powerful 914, with the emphasis on the driving experience over whether or not it was concourse perfection. 

So I didn't want a 'finished beauty'; I've always wanted to make my own car. In all honesty, (and Alberto, I'm sorry if this is a disappointment), I will most likely transfer the mechanicals of this 'new' car into the shell I am modifying in my garage now - I really can only afford to run one car. I had toyed with the idea of Subaru power but it always felt like a compromise when I really wanted true Porsche 6cyl power; and this car gives me that opportunity.



I bought this car from a really nice guy in Lake Forest, California, USA. Alberto, thanks for all your help with the sale. It took over 12 weeks to arrive and is currently laid up in my Father-In-Law's garage about 10 miles away. I'm in the process of getting it registered and making it road legal for the UK - then, come the Spring, I'll get it out on the roads - I cannot wait! I'll basically drive it for as long as it takes me to complete the shell in my garage before doing the swap. 



"Why not restore this 'new' car?" you may ask..well it's a good question! The answer is simply because I have done so much to the other shell. The 'new' car is in great shape and is a dry Californian car but it would need all of the modifications I have done to the other shell…chassis stiffening, suspension re-inforcement, paint stripping & re-painting, trunk floor, any and all rust repair etc etc. I've put nearly 4 years grind into the 'old' shell which I don't want to have to do again.



I don't know what I will do the with orange shell once it's off the road exactly. It'd be nice to hang onto it for 'insurance'…but I will likely sell it on to another guy like me who can restore it - it's a solid shell like I said. I also have a decent 2.0L 4cyl that can go back into it…anyone interested?!

No comments:

Post a Comment