Sunday 23 June 2013

Chassis Patch Fabrication

This is the last 'patch' to the main chassis member on the passenger side. It was tricky because there is a curve to the box section which needed to be bent into the patch. Here's the area I needed to patch.



I was using 16ga sheet metal which is roughly 1.5mm thick, maybe a little more.  Firstly, I made a straight bend in the sheet with a radius to match the chassis it will sit on - I used a 15mm diameter pipe in the Brake to get the radius.

Then, I cut up the sidewall and bent the part to match the curvature of the chassis. I welded in triangular 'darts' to fill the area that was opened up by the bend. You can just about make out the two small triangles welded in...



Once it fitted, I sprayed the back side with weld-through primer and welded it in place. I still have some final edge-welding and grinding to do to finish it.




No comments:

Post a Comment