Wednesday 11 December 2013

Jack Post & Long Repair - Drivers Side

Like the passenger side, the driver's side Jacking Point was in need of some love. So I cut-out the original one and removed the worst of the rust.




I made a point of marking the position of the Jack Post so I know exactly where to position the replacement part.


8mm holes were drilled out around the edge of the cut-out to patch-in a plate on the inside of the Long itself.


The inner plate (1.2mm) was plug welded using the drilled holes..


This inner-plate gave me something to weld the second layer to. The bottom edge of the Long was fine so I just needed to put a single bend in the patch (1.5mm) to fill the top curve of the Long. The holes are obviously for me to plug-weld it to the inner-plate..





Then it's just a case of fully welding the patch in place and then grinding it smooth. I could have stopped here, but because of all the additional stiffening I'm doing to the chassis, I decided to add another layer. I'll show this in the next post. This thing ain't going to flex at all!





No comments:

Post a Comment